Thursday, May 26, 2011

A Portrait of Gary Mar


As a photographer, you never know when a photo opportunity will land in your lap. But when they do, you have to make the best of it. That's what happened recently when I was given the opportunity to photograph Gary Mar on location at his campaign headquarters in Calgary, Alberta.

Gary, who is a prime candidate for leader of the Progressive Conservative party in Alberta, was busy being  being filmed for his periodical video blog when I arrived. After watching three or four takes, they took a short break. With time being a major factor (I had 5-10 minutes) I positioned Mr. Mar near a large window and using a 50mm F/1.2 lens, I took a few close-up portraits. By opening the lens to a wide aperture I was able to limit the depth of field, thereby burring out the background. Believe it or not, there was actually a TV monitor hanging from the wall in the background. By getting in close, I was able to hide it behind the subject's head!

I was very grateful to meet Mr. Mar and he seems like a really nice guy and down to earth. He has an excellent team around him and with any luck, he will win the election.

No comments: